Sunday, June 24, 2012

A wonderful day on the Camino

Well, I am now two days from Santiago.  This morning, I left around 7, knowing where I was going but not knowing whether my Camino friends would be coming with me.  I told them where I was going and said goodbye.  By about 11:30, I was in Melide, octopus capital of Spain.  There was a huge weekly Sunday market.


 
 

After my market visit, being careful not to overload my pack, I spent two hours in one of the "pulperías", octopus houses, waiting with some other peregrinos for my friends to arrive. I had some pulpo (yum) and decided to walk on, thinking that perhaps they had changed plans. 

Today´s walk was wonderful.  Though the elevation maps show it as flat, there are innumerable ups and downs of 100 - 200 feet, which are noticeable when you are carrying a pack of 15-20 pounds.  Even though it was Sunday, in every town there were people up and about, milking their cows, or working in the fields.  I talked with lots of them, trying to imagine life in their little pueblos.  Glorious. 

This was the day we merged with the Camino Francés.  It was incredible, during the 5 kms from Melide to the tiny town of Boente, where I am, I saw more people than I have seen in total in the past two weeks.  I got to the albergue in the mid afternoon and saw no one I knew.  A few hours later, all my friends arrived and all was well again. 


Emergency medical care in the TERRIFIC albergue in Boente.
So, we now have two days to Santiago.  There are all sorts of people on the Camino.  I was talking this afternoon with a Korean girl of 14 who speaks English fairly well. She is with a group of eight friends and a teacher who is a few days back unable to walk with a swollen foot.  So here is this group of  kids walking through Spain unattended, unable to speak Spanish, but not a care in the world. 

I will arrive in Santiago on Tuesday and spend two nights there.  Then on Thursday, my last little jaunt to Finisterre.  It´s all ending, I am so sorry to say.  But first we will have a birthday party tomorrow night, because one of our group has a birthday.  Can´t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment