Saturday, June 30, 2012

In Muxía, site of Prestige oil spill

Last night I was all alone in the amazing though somewhat bizarre albergue of Dumbría.  All alone.  It was kind of weird, but they locked me in at 10 pm., reminding me that the emergency exit was always functional.  Here I was all alone in an albergue, so I didn´t bother to put in ear plugs.  But then around midnight, I was awakened by  incessant mosquito buzzing near my ears.  So there you go, earplugs but no snorers.  There was  a LOT of rain falling all night and I was kind of apprehensive.  Then when I woke at 6 am, there was water pounding against the window.  Aargh.  When I got up and opened the window, though, I saw that the water wasn´t rain, but sprinklers.  What?  Sprinklers in Galicia?  Where it rains every day?  Oh well.  The day started cloudy, but turned just beautiful -- cool and sunny. 

Today´s walk was about 24 km, very pleasant and mostly off road.  There were endless kilometers through eucalyptus forests, and lots of little villages along the way.


 I found a café around 9:30 and as I was sitting there having my café con leche, the skies opened and it poured for about 10 minutes.  That was the last I saw of the rain. 

One of the bonuses that came from my decision to walk on this pretty untraveled route was that I could see the beautiful romanesque church of Moraime.  It wasn't open, but the outside is prety spectacular, and there was a gated door that we could peek through.  Very nice!




I am now on the coast, in the Muxia albergue, where the sea ranges from turquoise to deep blue, there are tons of boulders, and lots of huge crashing waves that are just spectacular. 




Tomorrow I walk to Finisterre, then it´s done.  Can´t believe it, it´s always very hard to stop walking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment