Friday, June 29, 2012

Halfway to Finisterre

Two days walking from Santiago, both about 32 kms, and now two more days to Finisterre.  Tomorrow I will walk into Muxía, which is the town on the coast closest to where the Prestige oil spill took place.  It´s also the place where Martin Sheen and his friends in The Way ended their Camino.  I, however, will take one more day to walk to Finisterre.




I said goodbye to the last three of my camino family last night.



 I debated staying with them and walking their route for the next few days, but it seemed like I had already "peeled off" from the group and that I should keep with my original plans.  It was really quite a wonderful group, and these three young-uns (late twenties, one from San Francisco, one from Vancouver, BC, one Quebecois) will continue together for a few more days.



I am in an albergue tonight in the town of Dumbría, and it is the most incredible albergue I´ve ever stayed in.  It is ultra-modern, huge, all amenities, and no people (so far I´m all alone, just like I started the Camino).  Most of the money to build this place was donated by the man who owns Zara, who apparently loves the Camino (or wants people to think he loves the Camino).



So, on Sunday I´ll be up at the lighthouse in Finisterre, which is now a hotel/restaurant/bar.  This is actually quite convenient because it means that I can both see the sunset and watch the finals of the Eurocup, which will pit Italy versus Spain.

Last night a German pilgrim ordered a shot of some drink I couldn´t tolerate to celebrate the birth of his 6th grandson.  It was a nice Camino moment, even though most of us never laid eyes on each other because we all walked into Santiago on different routes and have all decided to walk these days out to the coast.     

Tomorrow I reach the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment