Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Internet two days in a row!!!

I had a very good 29 km walk today into the large-ish town of Fonsagrada. It´s one of those towns you see hours and hours before you arrive.  And then right before you get really close, there is a steep descent, which you know means that you will have another ascent to get into town.

 Perfect weather, a couple of pretty strenuous ascents, and not too many rocky paths on the way down.  The albergue is about 2 km out of town, in the hamlet of Padron, but I decided to come back up so that I could use the internet.  AND so I could eat my first pulpo gallego. Gallego style octopus is very simple, just boiled and then seasoned with olive oil and salt.  I love it but can´t eat a lot at one sitting.  So that means that a bunch of us will go and share a big plate.  Now that we´re in Galicia, it is pretty easy to find, but there is a very highly regarded pulpería here. 

Evidence of  la crisis is everywhere.  Here in town there´s a four star hotel sitting empty and for sale.  Lots of businesses are shuttered.  People in Galicia seem to be less optimistic than some of the other places I´ve been walking.  The few I´ve talked with all seem to think doom is about to descend, and maybe they are right.  But I´ll go do my bit for the economy by buying some octopus. 

Two more days and then we´ll be in Lugo, which has some amazing walls and lots of Roman remains.  Mosaics, villas, museum, etc.  There is also a big Roman re-enactment festival of some sort going on, so things will be hopping.  Maybe I´ll get to see a gladiator or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment