Sunday, June 3, 2012

In Riaño, taking it slow

Three days of walking since I last found a computer.  I am now using the Hotel Presa´s machine.

  I have a nice room overlooking a huge reservoir -- 9 small villages were submerged to build it, and this new town, Riaño, was built for all the displaced people.  It´s a pretty charmless place, all built around 1990, but with a gorgeous view over the reservoir surrounded by mountains.  And they saved a few of the romanesque churches and transported them stone by stone up to higher ground.  A nice gesture, I guess. 

I´ve gotten lots of emails about my feet, but no one seemed concerned that I slid down a mountain and scratched the beejeezus out of my body!  My feet are doing better, but the pinky toes still screech out sometimes.  I put disinfectant on them regularly and keep them clean, so it´s just a matter of time.

The last three walking days have ranged from 12 kms of mountain majesty to 10 kms of asphalt alongside a reservoir, or through a mountain pass. 








There have been lots of green tunnels on ancient country lanes linking little towns hidden around the bends of these mountains.  I haven´t met other peregrinos, but everyone along the way knows about this camino and agrees that it´s a shame it´s not more popular. 

I think the next few days will be river-side walking, some Roman Road, and a mozarabic church or two thrown in for good measure.  I am usually on the road by 7, walking in early morning is peaceful, cool and refreshing.  Makes me thankful just to be alive. 

I have about 4 more days walking till I merge with the Camino Francés and arrive in León the day after that.  That will be weird!  But I´ll only be on it for a couple of days because I´m heading to the Camino del Salvador, a 5 day walk through mountain heaven. Great views, lots of old churches (even one from the 7th century), and NO ASPHALT to speak of.  I´m hoping my feet will be singing contently by then, instead of the screaming I hear after a few hours on a road. 

Thanks for all the emails, and especially the pictures of Oliver! (and his lovely family).  Love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment